AT EMMA'S EDUCATION CENTER
students to achieve their greatest dreams through education, providing a bridge
of hope for their families.
Steady volunteers can be a great asset to an organization. At Emma's Education
Center, we believe that we change awareness of special needs adults one volunteer
at a time. Some find that this is not their cup of tea, and that's okay. Not
everyone is meant to work with this population. Others keep coming because
they get attached to our students and know that they are making a difference.
Emma's Education Center has teamed up with a few organizations to accept
regular volunteers and community service volunteers. Community service volunteers
have been pre-screened by their agency and have been given our information
in order to complete their hours.
In order to keep from receiving numerous phone calls during the day regarding
volunteering, this page has been set up. We work one on one with our students
and cannot take the time to answer phone calls or return messages to those
seeking community service hours. Please understand that it's because any time
taken away to give our information, etc., takes away from our students, which
are our priority.
Please do not call the Center. If you need to complete community service
hours, please follow the following process:
- We currently do not accept those who have any type of CPS related, family
violence or sexual misconduct in their backgrounds. This is for the protection
of our students.
- Please look over this web site so that you get an idea of who we are
and what we do. If you would like to volunteer, come back to this page and
- Volunteers will be asked to help the teacher and possibly work one-on-one
with our students. You may also be asked to do some light cleaning (i.e.
vacuuming , bathrooms, trash, dusting, etc.)
- No cell phones permitted during your service hours.
- You will be asked to engage with our students if you choose to sit around
and do nothing. We need your help.
- Volunteer hours are Monday through Friday between the hours of 9AM and
3PM. You may serve any hours within this time frame. Those who come for
those hours are given a half hour lunch break that is not counted against
To begin volunteering:
- Come to the Center at 2121 Northwest Hwy Suite 119 in Garland between
the hours of 9AM and 3PM. We are at the intersection of LBJ and Northwest
Hwy in Garland, in the Capital One parking lot. You can speak with any staff
- Please note that our students are curious and are learning social skills.
Therefore, they may invade your personal space until they get to know you.
They are not aware of personal bubbles and a few of our students like to
greet strangers. They are not aggressive and there is no reason to be afraid
of them. However, since most are not verbal, it can be an experience that
is quite different from what you are expecting.
- On your first day you will be asked to fill out a one page volunteer information
sheet. This is so we have record of you. Also on your first day, we will
let you get acclimated by allowing you to get to know the students.
- Lunch is from 12:00 PM - 12:30 PM for those volunteering over four hours.
You may bring your lunch with you or there is plenty of food establishments
around the Center.
- You will be asked to log in your time and sign for it, so that we have
record of your hours. Your time sheet is for you to keep and will be signed
at the end of your shift each day by Miss Q.
- If you commit to volunteering for multiple days, we will expect you on
those days. If we do not see you after three weeks without any head's up,
your form will be discarded and you will be asked to volunteer elsewhere.
This is for the safety and protection of our students as they tend to get
attached to those working with them.
That's all there is to it! There is no waiting list or hoops to jump through,
but you will be expected to serve while you are here. It's not always easy
work, but it will tug at your heart.
Emma's Education Center. "Dream. Believe. Dare. Do." is a registered
trademark of the Walt Disney Company.